Hi, Mom~!
So first of all, I decided to stop pressuring myself to take a picture everyday. I will just take significant pictures (and then some, of course). To be honest, a lot of photos were already being taken days later, so I was kind of cheating anyway. :3
That aside, we had an ultrasound yesterday at our 16-week check-up. It went very well. I had a whole ton of questions written down to ask our doctor, and I was so nervous about asking them. Like I've mentioned before, Koreans are very trusting of their doctors and just go with the flow. Americans especially ask tons of questions to be sure they are at the right place because of how different it is everywhere you go, so it's just the opposite.
I expected to be kind of rushed out, but she never made me feel like she was even expecting anyone else (though she certainly did have plenty of other patients to see). Even at the end, she mentioned how she knows that foreigners especially ask tons of questions and that it's no problem at all. She basically expected it, which is actually kind of nice.
One of my biggest concerns was our 20-week appointment, which I have mentioned a few times here I was nervous about because I knew it would be just like the 12-week appointment, which left me slightly traumatized (though I definitely need not be since baby is just fine). We left her office at the end just expecting to call her two days before the appointment so someone would be sure to have the monitor on for me the entire time. I was definitely pleased with this. Right after we left, though, the assistant told us to hold on, that our appointment date might change because the doctor was making some phone calls.
We got even better news that the hospital offers special times twice a week just for foreigners to have super ultrasounds done where husbands can accompany them! I was just ecstatic and beyond grateful at hearing this. She even still told me to stop by her office right before we went off to have the ultrasound done to be sure they would keep the monitor on for me the whole time. What a true blessing.
I definitely feel much more confident in the overall process at the hospital now. I’ve never doubted my doctor, but I did become concerned with some of the hospital’s rules. Everything really looks about perfect, though.
Anyway, some stats:
Baby:
Approximately 9.3cm, or 3.7”
This freaked me out. First, I keep thinking it’s not all that accurate anyway since our baby is super curly cuddly like I am anyway. Second, I know these are just estimates. Third, I know every baby grows differently.
That’s about an inch behind, though, so it is slightly worrisome. However, our doctor didn’t say a thing, so I am sure it must be just fine. Some tickers say baby is just over 4.5”, and others say 5”, so that’s why I am sort of just like, “Woh.”
These were taken Tuesday, the doctor's 16 weeks and our 15w6d.
Mommy:
Blood Pressure: 105/71
Heart Rate: 87bpm
Weight: 59.5kg / 130.9 lbs (a less than 2kg/4-lb gain)
When the doctor was putting the ultrasound…scanner…on my belly, she said, “You haven’t gained anything, have you??” My belly really flattened out when I was on my back, though many have started to notice it! I though I had gained more than what I did.
Today, two parents of my students on separate occasions exclaimed excitedly that my belly was getting bigger. I think the first said something more like, “Wow, baby is really growing!” because her daughter then wanted to know how she could see the baby, lol. Yes, this is the one who thinks we are having either twins or a purple baby. That child is next to hopeless! I have explained in Korean maaaany times that our baby will be mixed, half-Korean, half-white (“half-American”) and even showed her pictures of our friends’ half-Chinese, half-white baby, and she still asked me today, “Korean baby?” I told her again, “No, MIX…” and she asked if the baby will speak Korean or English, again. I told her if we teach Korean, baby will speak Korean. If we teach English, baby will speak English. She sort of seemed to semi-understand after that, but I doubt it!
After the first mom said I was getting bigger (which does bring me great delight), the two girls in class kept wanting to touch my belly. Too cute.
All of that blabbing on aside, Hee Suk made a video of the scan today. Don't turn the volume up--it's just a lot of me laughing. *^^* Our baby was very seriously lying in the same position I was with my arm. Right when the doctor put the scanner on me, the baby was apparently making a peace sign. She tried to rewind the video to show it again, but no such luck (you won't see that part in the video). Our baby is hilarious. And as usual, he/she was hiding out on the lower left side. ^^
Thank You, my King, for nourishing this little one with Your love and for also holding me tight when I am feeling weak. There are no words to describe the awe I feel when I think of how you designed this miracle. You are incredible, my Lord. Thank You, my Lord. Thank You.

11 comments:
Okay. First of all, I'm going to harrangue you, then I'm going to comfort you.
1. Please, PLEASE do NOT worry too much about the size of your baby! Even the most technologically advanced ultrasound equipment has a margin of error when it comes to measurements. Do you remember the 8.5~9lb baby I was supposed to give birth to back in September? They took that measurement less than a week before the birth and guess what? 7lb 10oz. Also, I don't know what "tickers" you're talking about, but if it's babycenter, thenest, etc. then they are probably based on averages of North American sizes or taken from research on North American women. Your baby is half-Korean, and you yourself have a very delicate frame. You will very likely give birth to a small, albeit healthy, baby. If the "tickers" are based on Cheil hospital standards/research, however, I digress.
2. I felt like my belly didn't grow *at all* (except chubbier) until the 4th month. Then Dexter had a growth spurt and all of a sudden I couldn't find a thing in the house (not even Trinity's clothes) that would fit. I remember sitting on my couch in sweatpants wondering how I was going to afford the wardrobe I suddenly needed to buy. You have so much time left in this pregnancy, Sesame is just taking her time, eventually she will have a spurt of grown and be right on track.
We all worry about our kids - it's natural as mothers to do so. I think I called the nurse at the Birthplace at our hospital at least half a dozen times claiming "I couldn't feel my baby moving" etc. But I hope I can help ease your fears a little bit. Your baby will be perfectly fashioned the way God intends her to be, and you will be such an amazing mother it will blow us all away.
I'm so happy to see pictures of her. She is really cute and beautiful! I can't wait to meet her!
:)
What a gorgeous dress and cute baby bump. Glad your appointment went so well! : )
It's very exciting to see your baby moving on screen, isn't it?
They didn't have 'foreigner time' for ultrasounds when i went there. Perhaps it's because people like us complained about the treatment? I wonder if we would have stayed there had they been more flexible?
I was surprised how much interest kids took in my pregnancy. Many kids can't grasp the fact that a baby can be both Korean and American. Even my 9 year old nephew is concerned about whether Grace will be able to speak English!
Looks like you're doing great. See you on Saturday!
Awww! I always loved ultrasounds. Irene was a wiggle worm even in the womb. I had to wait a month extra just to find out I was having a daughter. :P I'm really glad the tech will be leaving the monitor on for you. :)
Wow!!! That was awesome!This the first time ever am seein an ultrasound video of a baby!! I am getting goosebumps! Very nice to see! Congrats again!! Your belly is really getting bigger for 16 weeks! I hav a friend who is around 15w and she has not got it yet! She shares all that she goes thru durin this preg.!
Me n DH have jus started tryin for our baby!
Take care!
Hi, Can you provide me some info reg Korean docs? Can we go see the doc if we get a positive in home preg test even before the period due date? Will they turn us away to com back later?? Do they do any tests or do they jus accept the home preg test result itself?
Thanks, everyone!
Sarah-Dr. Lee actually didn't know until she made a bunch of phone calls trying to figure out a way to make it work so I wouldn't go to another clinic to have the ultrasound done. That seemed a little weird to me, but I'm just happy all is well. :)
San-I highly recommend our doctor, Dr. Lee, Siweon at Cheil Hospital. Her English is pretty much perfect. Korea is pretty awesome in that you can go in right away after you get a positive. We got our positive on a Friday and saw her the following Wednesday. It was completely unexpected, but they do an ultrasound right away to see the sac and make sure it isn't ectopic or anything.
I didn't even pee in a cup that visit. I thought I would pee in a cup so that they could run their own pregnancy test, but they didn't do that or draw blood to confirm beta numbers. We had tested again the day before the appointment, so we had two positive tests as proof.
I have no experience making our appointment in English since we always just do it there (and did it on the internet previously), but I am assuming they must have reception staff that speaks English.
Let me know if you need anymore info! It's in the Chungmuro area, and there's a free shuttle bus from three subway stations.
Thanks a lot for the info.. I have heard of that hospital. but it is far away from where I am (Anyang). So I think will just go to the hospital here. The doctors understand a lil english, but they speak very lil.
I have got my positive 4 days before missing period. So thats why I am confused whether I shud go see the doc rite away. I think I wil jus wait till I miss it and then go. Till then it wil be difficult to pass the days I guess!
Many congrats! I am glad to hear you two had what seems like a pretty quick TTC journey. I think you're making a good decision in holding out. Maybe you'll feel better if you at least call to set the appointment up, even if it's a bit away. Be sure to arrive early to register. :) Sending many prayers for a happy and healthy nine months!
Thank you! Yeah guess so! I will try to make an apointment soon. Think I will be seein the doc only n saturday coz I want my DH to come along.
Its all exciting with this new experience. My only worry is that I have to keep myself healthy which I am very bad at!
Edmo--Things could still change, of course, but I suspected very early on that I would be carrying low. I'm always surprised at how low the ultrasound scanner thing is when I go in--Sesame's really hiding down there!
Post a Comment