Saturday, October 3, 2009

Happy Chuseok!

This weekend is one of Korea's two biggest holidays: Chuseok. Most people "translate" it to mean "Korean Thanksgiving Day." Just about everyone travels back to their hometowns to celebrate, but given that I was uncomfortable on the train even in July when we were going a shorter distance, we decided we would just stay here.

Yesterday, we went to the National Museum of Korea. We had a great time! My legs were about to fall off by the end because of how huge the place was, but it was really wonderful (not to mention free ^.~). We'd definitely like to go back sometime and walk around the outdoor area.



This picture is of two figures from I believe the Silla Dynasty (I have to go back and double check) that are depicting "giving birth". I love the little figures the people used to make!

It was funny because with where my camera was positioned when I wasn't taking pictures (I use a neck strap to make sure I don't drop it), it looked like I was having our son take the pictures.



Today, we met up with our friends and headed to Hanok Village. It's close to our place and free, so why not? I had never heard of it, but one of my young students (who I wound up running into there!) suggested it when I mentioned where we had originally wanted to go (which would have taken forever to get to and perhaps even longer to get back since it is outside of Seoul). The weather was great, though it was definitely a bit more crowded than I had hoped for. It was a very nice day, and I am glad we got to celebrate the holiday a bit with their family!

In other news, I am a bit behind on belly pics, so I present to you this week's and last week's photos:

33 Weeks (plus)


34 Weeks (and what have you)


Next Appointment
Our next appointment was scheduled for this upcoming Wednesday, but we switched it to Monday to take advantage of another free photo offer we received. I am pretty sure it will mostly be a "hit and run," where she will just quickly check to make sure baby is still positioned well and that my fluid levels are okay. We'll see. I keep thinking of questions to ask, but I always think of them at times where it is next to impossible to write them down, such as when I am in the shower. By the time I get to a good spot to jot anything down, it's already left my mind.

What was that?
I woke up at about 5:30am this morning and wasn't feeling well. I just knew I was going to be tossing cookies. I went to the bathroom and tried to lie back down, but that was not happening. Our son thought it was a wonderful time to get the hiccups, which made me happy because it revealed his position was better than it had been the previous few days, but it certainly was far from helping my feel any better!

I almost drank a little of my milk ("my milk" = a kind of soy milk made from black beans) because it has amazing curative powers, especially for heartburn, but I just knew I wasn't battling against a simple case of discomfort this time. After pacing a little and sitting at the table, a few cookies were tossed. All I could think was, "God, please don't let it be food poisoning again." I've felt a little off all day today, but I've been fine.

I think something happened with the smoothie I had last night. Hee Suk has made it for me before without any issues, but I wonder if it just didn't sit well with having it so late. What I think might be more plausible, though, as we always eat late, is that the water I had sipped the couple of times I woke up before then was sitting uncomfortably, causing a little reflux. Either way, I am glad it was just one little episode.

Special Milestone
Today marks exactly one month until the earliest date I am allowing our son to come. As I have mentioned, we (his parents) have had many talks about this with him. 11.3 is the inverse of my birthday, 3.11, and is one week before his actual due date, so that is the earliest we are accepting from him. The short amount of time now is really unbelievable.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I am looking forward to just staying home all day tomorrow. Well, maybe we will pick up a few groceries, but otherwise, I am parking it here. For those who celebrate, please enjoy the holiday!

Lord, tonight my prayer is for Hee Suk's father, who has just developed diabetes in addition to his cancer. Please hold him tightly, Lord, and comfort him, even though he may be distancing himself from You. You know the prayer in my heart concerning this Lord.

1 comment:

TexasBobbi said...

Sounds like you have had a nice and relaxing past few days.