Saturday, June 27, 2009

It's funny...

Unloading
It seems like the parents of one group of children I teach are so happy that we are pregnant just so they can get rid of their baby items in a more useful way--offering them to us! I know that this is simply not the case, but it's kind of funny. We received an insert for a baby bathtub from one mother, and on Wednesday, another unloaded a bunch of baby toys on us. I am not sure if we will use them yet (still have to look into what cleaning them thoroughly would entail and whatnot), but it's very kind of them.

Come out of where??
My other children's class was a disaster on Thursday, but one kind of funny yet extremely embarrassing thing happened. It wound up being one boy and one girl as the other girl didn't want to study after we had our snack time and went away to her room screaming at her mom (it was at her house). That's the same girl who can't understand a half-white/half-Korean baby. Anyway, for some reason, the little girl still in class started talking/asking about how when the baby is born and they cut the baby out...I was confused and I said, "Ah, no cut!" The two children looked at me incredulously and then started cracking up hysterically: (in Korean) "The baby's going to come out of your butt! The baby's going to come out of your butt!!!" All I could say was, "No, no, no!" and just slap my hand on my head, then somehow try to regain their attention to the studies.

Bus!
There's a new bus line that goes right from our apartment to right in front of the apartment complex I teach at. It is not far by bike, but some days, I am just too tired to ride. This is awesome. My first time trying to take it resulted in lateness and a really sore shoulder (would someone please tell me why buses are manual here??), but going to class today proved just fine. I'm always getting my exercise on the way back home, though, as I race the bus as it is stuck at a red light to try to catch it. Koreans bus drivers aren't even half as considerate as American bus drivers, who actually pay attention to see if anyone is running to try to catch up.

Cheese...
I can't find the post with the comment, but to either Alfee or MommyCha, thank you for mentioning the cheesesticks at Costco! I did not see them when we went the first time (yes, we've already been back again!), but I did pick some up. I was shocked at the price, too, as the Family Mart downstairs sells them for over 1,000won a piece--this was just over 15,000won for 48! Yum.

Tacos
I still want some Taco Bell like woh. Even just the taco mix for the meat. ;~; Making it is too much work.

Chicken
They say that what you eat during pregnancy influences what your child will eat best. I don't know how true this is and don't fret over it too much, but it does have me thinking about chicken. I have not been able to eat very much of it since becoming pregnant, and I am not so sure why. The rotisserie chicken is absolutely fine, but some other chicken stuff gets one bite and that's it. I feel bad because there is this delicious kind of chicken we order and cook now (we order a lot of our food to cook at home now instead buying it at the store), but I have so sort of aversion to it. It's a little spicy, but I have no problem eating the potatoes or rice cakes in it. It makes coordinating dinner a little tricky around here.

Baby is a huge fan of pork, fish and turkey, though, so I think we're okay. Beef has met a somewhat similar fate to chicken, but that chadolbaegi the other night was quite welcome. Yum.

Stretchmark Cream
I am SO glad I was not enticed to buy any at the baby fair we went to because I think I have enough for a couple of pregnancies now! I received one bottle on Teacher's Day, and the mother of one student I have whose family is moving to Saudi Arabia just gifted me with a huge bottle (tube?). I haven't started using them yet, but all I can say is that I am definitely set!

That's about all from me for now. I am so behind on posting. I didn't even take a belly pic this week yet! I'll have to get on that. July is going to be another super busy month for us, but with my student moving away now, I will hopefully have some more time and energy.

Much love to you all!

Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children. - Proverbs 17:6

3 comments:

MommyCha said...

I'm not sure if Alfee posted as well but I had gone back through your posts and read about your love of cheesesticks and posted about Costco! ^^ Glad you found them! We like to buy the Tillamook cheese snackpacks instead, I'm not so fond of the cheese strings.
We can easily go to Costco once a week, we are reliant on them for so many different things! For our private tutoring we buy English books there for our students all the time. Costco makes life so much easier!
PS-Share your hatred of manual bus driving! I was around 8mths preggo, and the car died. So I had to take the bus home. Bus driver was SO BAD I was almost physically ill on the bus! Gas, brake, gas, brake, gas, brake and never ran a yellow! Longest, jerkiest and most nauseating ride of my life! We now have a bicycle as well as the car and I would rather walk most days than take a bus here!

The Hunt's, Inc. said...

1/4 cup bleach in a gallon water is all you need to clean non-cloth toys. You can store it in a spray bottle. This is what is commonly used throughout the medical industry in the States when disinfecting toys in doctor's offices, daycares, etc.

akoto said...

Mom--Thanks! Two of them have cloth, so do I just try to handwash them or something?

MommyCha--It was your comment I was thinking of, then. I had approved like four at one time, and I got who said what mixed up. ^^;; Thank you!