Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hello, Charlie.

Yesterday, I got my first Charlie's Horse during pregnancy, which makes my life time total a whopping two. I'm actually really thankful for the one I had years and years ago (that was back in OH!). It's a pain you really can't ever forget. Knowing that many women do get them at least some point in pregnancy, I had mentioned to my husband casually before that I might wake up crying in pain sometimes if it does happen to me (which I expected with my sub-par leg circulation).

I'm actually kind of proud of myself. I didn't flail about or anything. I felt it start, and I calmly (though in pain) said to Hee Suk, "Honey, could you help me? ::wakes up startled, and thinking I had fallen off of the bed, grabs for my waist:: My leg, my leg...my left leg..." What a blessing it is that he's trained in sports massage! Before it got to the super painful part, he was able to help it go away. I am definitely going to try stretching those muscles more, especially before bed.

In similar news, I had also fully expected my toes to really start doing their own thing. My toes like to sort of dislocate at times and start moving in ways they weren't meant to move, which can be very uncomfortable. This was a huge problem when I was learning how to do spin kicks in taekwondo because the correct positioning of my leg and making such a strong instep would cause them to start moving out of place. It's not a big problem and doesn't really affect anything, so no worries. Anyway, it's a little bit different from that problem, but I often have muscle spasms on my right foot now which cause the middle toe there to twitch and bend down a little. It's not uncomfortable--just weird. My feet have a mind of their own, that's for sure.

I've also continually forgotten to type about the way I sleep. Hee Suk finds it so peculiar and a little hilarious. Most nights, I fall asleep sitting propped up. I take my shower, sit on the bed propped up and fall right asleep. He'll wake me a little to ask me if I'm going to dry my hair, and I always say no, I just want to sleep. He used to ask me if I was really going to sleep like that, to which I obviously always replied, "Yes." I have never, ever been one to be able to come even remotely close to being able to sleep like that. On planes and other long trips, I always sleep folded over, never slightly reclined. It really is funny. I usually convert to lying on my left side sometime during the night, but it's funny that sitting up has become so comfortable for me. It makes me think of my mom. I don't remember who she was pregnant with, but I remember her going to my grandmother's house later in pregnancy at times to sleep on the recliner she had. That's how I remember it, at least.

In other news...

Costco
I totally feel like a mom now that we have a membership to Costco here. After hearing so many rave about it, we decided to finally go and sign up yesterday. If for nothing else, it was worth it for the pizza. Holy smokes. It's totally American style/taste. I didn't try a hot dog this time, but they look like real hot dogs, not the strange blend they use here. It was heaven on a plate. Hee Suk practically swallowed his whole. It's seriously exactly like Sam's Club's food corner right by the checkouts.

We ate first (after signing up), which was a hilarious experience. The area it's in must not see many foreigners at all, even though it's not terribly far from us. Children kept running up to me to say hi or smile shyly. One child said in Korean, "It's a foreigner!" as his father pushed him by in a cart, so I, in Korean, pointed back and replied with my usual, "It's a Korean!" Hee Suk had apparently never truly witnessed this from me and cracked up. The father was so embarrassed after that. The other child in the cart was smart and simply said, "Hi~"

Anyway, it was crazy in there, but I am glad we went. I can now buy good whole grain granola/snack bars, and the rotisserie chicken is superb. We have not had a good, moist chicken like that in a long time. More importantly, however, I was FINALLY able to buy my turkey deli meat!! It was half the price listed on what we found online. I was delighted.

We scouted out some potential grabs for baby and took mental notes. We're super loyal to G-Market, though. ^.~ I wanted to buy some of the onesies there, but everything was very distinctly boy or girl. I was pleased to find some good, comfy Non-Korean style undies for myself, though, to accomodate my widening hips. :D

All-in-all, it was a good trip. To me, though, it is a little expensive. This is for two reasons: 1) I am not used to buying more in bulk, and 2) a lot of it is marked up due to being imported. Ah, well. The bars are worth it (I bought Nutri-Grain this time around). Korean granola bars are small, not very tasty and usually pretty dry. This is definitely a treat for me. And the pizza. YUM.

One funny note is that we both totally felt like we were back in America while we were in there. This is so much so that when I went to help someone pick up her dropped receipt since she had her hands full, I said in English, "I'll help you!" Smooth. I quickly reverted back to Korean, however, when the psycho woman came up behind me while I was looking at my coveted granola bars and spoke very low level Korean to me to tell me to basically get out of the way. She was weird and lucky Hee Suk couldn't find her. XD

And that's all I've got for this post. I have another one coming later, so stay tuned!

The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. - Psalm 126:3

1 comment:

MommyCha said...

I love Costco! The food court is a big draw, I agree. But you get used to the cost of buying in bulk after awhile and you do save money on things like cheese, bagels, cereals, organic frozen veggies and more. They also have great seasonal items so keep your eyes open for that.
As for baby clothes, the Carter's clothing they sell is really cheap compared to similar Korean items! As soon as you know what style to buy, I would snap some up!