Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The "Big" One


One of five photos I received.

We're halfway there!

So all of the plans I had to update again on Sunday and after the ultrasound on Monday completely flew out the window. I was so tired. -.-; Here's a simple one, though!

Our ultrasound yesterday went very well. Hee Suk was not allowed in with me the whole time, but my doctor called to make sure the monitor was kept on for the entire scan. After all measurements were taken, he was allowed to join me. Thus, I did not spaz and freak out. The tech was super kind and even spoke a little English to me throughout, even though I went in expecting it to be pretty silent. It was an infinitely better experience than the 12-week scan.

For as mellow as baby has been during other visits, baby was not this time around! I was instructed to come with a full bladder, and this apparently made Sesame very...energetic? The tech was able to get all of the initial measurements just fine, but when she was trying to get the hands and feet, she asked me to go to the bathroom in hopes that would get baby to slow down. This did help calm him/her a bit, so she quickly got the last measurements and told her assistant to call my husband in.

Sesame loves keeping keeping his/her hands AND feet by his/her head. Baby also had a great time showing off that he/she knows how to use his/her mouth and can swallow very well. You can see that Sesame's mouth is a little open in the picture above.

I think the tech fell in love with our little one. She could not get over how cute the nose was. Even when Hee Suk said, "But don't they all have cute noses at this age?" she said that ours was just way cuter. Well, I know. ^.~ She was also impressed with Sesame's flexibility, which Hee Suk proudly claims as his own. She kept saying that our baby was so beautiful, so Hee Suk asked, "So, not handsome?" She declined to comment, so he thinks she *might* have been dropping us a hint. They can use beautiful for boys here, too, though.

My Stats
I didn't rest for a minute before taking my blood pressure, so it was slightly higher: 114/62. My heart rate was at 82bpm. I weighed in at 62kg, but I ate lunch right before going, so that might not be completely accurate.

Baby's Stats
So I totally spaced and did not record them well. Sesame is measuring somewhere over 13cm, so a little over 5". Unless I am a complete moron, the weight was about 329g, so about 11oz. I think this all adds up... ^.~ Regardless, everything measured very well. :D

Boy or Girl?
No word yet from either the tech or our doctor, but we've been studying the video we got. I thought boy at first, but there's a good likelihood it was just the umbilical cord I saw during an unrecordd portion. Thus, inconclusive. We're feeling that we my just be able to figure it out next time around. Baby was hilarious in our short clip and kept teasing us. The camera would be at the right spot, and then Sesame would flip his/her legs up to show us and say, "Look at me!" but it's just too quick to be sure. We both are thinking one gender over the other...but I'll keep mum on that for now. ^.~ The tech was SUPER fast with what she needed to do, so it was hard to focus on one spot.

Coming Soon...
Our next appointment is July 22nd. It is the dreaded GD test! I didn't realize that this is when it's done. I'll go in, drink the nastiness of doom, meet with the doctor, and then get my blood drawn one hour from when I've had my drink. They'll let me know the results within about 10 minutes. I can't believe how quickly they do things there.

That will mark 24 weeks, and at 28 weeks, I will receive the Rhogam shot. I am so over this needle business.

I'm also at the point where I have to give a urine sample at every visit. Yesterday's showed no sign of anything, so that's good to hear. Ah, and as of right now, baby's tendency is head down and just basically ideal, but as the doctor and I said together, there's still quite a bit of time! Placenta is in a good position and everything, so all we have to do is just let baby keep on baking!

Freebies!
After our visit, I noticed a lady walking around with a nice Agabang bag, a pretty expensive brand of infant clothing here. I thought, "Hmm, I wonder how he got that?" I saw another woman and got suspicious. Then, I saw a whole mass of women walking with them, and with lots of goodies inside! We decided to seek out the source to see if we could get one. We went down to where the event had been held and talked to someone about if they would have the class again, and he gave us a fan with the website on it. Hee Suk asked about the goodie bag, and he was more than happy to dig one out for us! It has a lot of nice stuff in there! Talk about being at the right place at the right time.

Anyway, I've got a class coming up, so I have to get ready. In short, all is well. ^^;;

Thank You, my Lord, for Your incredible kindness in raining so many blessings down on us. There are no words to express our gratitude!

13 comments:

Lolimahro said...

The glucose stuff I had wasn't that bad - it tasted exactly like orange soda. Hopefully you'll get something similar. Also, it helps if they have you draw blood from the crook of your elbow. They tried to draw blood from the veins in my hand at first, and I demanded it be drawn from my arm. It's just too painful for the hand.

Good luck on your test! Rest well and enjoy a happy, healthy pregnancy!

Marla said...

I don't know about what to look for with a boy, but I do remember what my doctor told me when he was checking on the big ultrasound. After he told me I was having a girl, he showed me how he could tell on the screen. He showed me how her genetalia looked like a little hamburger in a bun on the ultrasound. Sure enough, he was right.

As for the GD test, the drink tasted like orange kool aid with too much sugar. I had to drink it on an empty stomach and felt so nauseated afterwards. Everything was fine, though, and I didn't have to do the 3 hour test.

Good luck with the rest of your tests. It sounds like everything is going great and little Sesame is displaying his/her personality already. :)

San said...

Wow! Sesame must be having fun!
I had my first u/s during 6weeks. Do you know how many times they do the u/s in Korea? Do they do it during every visit? I will be almost 11 weeks when I go for the next visit. I hope they do the u/s then too!

akoto said...

edmo--It sounded early to me, too, though I haven't researched it. I was really surprised that she said it was next time. We'll see...we'll have yet another u/s at the next appointment, too.

San--I've had one at every visit: 5w, 8w, 12w, 16w and now 20w. I don't think every hospital/practice does this, though. 12w was the NT scan, and 20w was the FAS (fetal anatomy scan). It's getting really expensive. @__@;

Alfee said...

How much are your U/S's? I paid 50,000 for mine. i didnt think this was too bad. Its at least double in Australia. You can also choose not to do them. They do a few too many, this is not common back home because the risks havent properly been researched.

I bought a stove the day of my appointment around the same date, 400,000 won.

My needle (same as what youre gonna get), 400,000 won

I was blown away. Let me know how much yours costs!

akoto said...

Alfee--What needle are you talking about? Do you mean the Rhogam shot? If that is what you mean, I might just keel over at that one!

The regular ultrasounds are about 50,000won, but the bigger ones (NT scan and FAS) have been more expensive. Our FAS wound up being right about 140,000won. @__@; After our next appointment, I'll probably start declining them.

Lolimahro said...

I had a grand total of 4 ultrasounds during my pregnancy here in the States, and that was a bizarre number. I've known at least one woman who refused all ultrasounds. I wouldn't go that far, and I especially liked the chance to see the baby. :) I don't think declining u/s is such a bad thing, since there's not much they can do if something were to go wrong with the baby (as far as possible birth defects, that is).

I really wanted to tell you that I had a dream last night: I was watching the Korean drama you're going to audition for, and you were in it! Here's hoping that's a good sign. Take care, and see you in 5.5 weeks! =D

MommyCha said...

Odd that your husband can't be with you for the whole scan. Tom was always in with me.
We usually paid 20,000won for the scan. We paid 50,000won for the 4-D scan at 28weeks when we discovered the gender 100% for sure! I would wait until then to really be certain since ours was wrong around 16-18weeks. Hehehe..

San said...

I paid 16,000 for my appointment with insurance. They just did the internal scan and asked me to see the doc. And some 150,000 for a load of blood tests!
May be slowly I will know how the cost is split.

akoto said...

Lolimahro--Your dreams have an odd tendency to prove right for me, so maybe it IS a good sign! ^o^ That reminds me that I need to ask you about the airport situation (will email you...eventually...)

MommyCha--At this point, I am not planning on doing the 4D. I don't know why, but I just have no special feelings towards it. I can't remember--was Thomas born in Bucheon? That might have something to do with cost. I've heard smaller clinics (and some bigger ones) will pretty much do whatever foreigners want, but our hospital has some tighter rules regarding that stuff in order to keep their reputation, which I understand.

MommyCha said...

Our 4-D was pretty amazing to us. Our friend helped us edit and set the video to music afterward. We shared it with all our family members via Youtube. It still brings me to tears when I watch it. We had such a clear picture of his face and we also had a clear picture of his gender. Hahaha...
We did have him here in Bucheon, but as far as I know, we did things just like the Koreans did. Nothing special for me being Foreign! ^.^

Sarah said...

Cheil does do a few too many ultrasounds.... I'm sure you can opt to do one every other visit. At SCH that's what they do, as long as everything looks ok. She listened to the heartbeat via the doppler, but the monthly ultrasound is really unnecessary, esp when costs are adding up. Cheil is a little more expensive than most because of its name. At SCH I think scans were 30,000 won, even though SCH is famous for its mother and child care ward.

As for the Rhogam, I just wrote on the forum that it shouldn't be a problem. You could call and ask the cost ahead of time even. If for some reason they won't let insurance cover it, go and get it somewhere else. I'll try to remember to look at our receipts and see how much it was for me.

Have you talked to Dr. Lee about ordering in some type O- blood packs when you arrive at the hospital? Dr. Choi arranged to have two blood packs ordered when I was admitted, just in case a transfusion was needed. You have to pay for this, but I suppose it's worth it.

tryingin2007 said...

what a beautiful picture!

:)