Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Results are In!

And I do not have gestational diabetes!

OK, so I am teasing. I know what you really want to know--boy or girl?

Even though our hospital has a strict policy on not telling the sex of the baby, that certainly didn't stop our little one from clearly telling us: our little bonbon is all BOY! Appa did not catch it, but there was no mistaking what I saw clear as daylight.

We are incredibly excited. I won't go into detail now, but with all that we have been through with trying to conceive (which I know is not nearly as much as others go through but was still very trying), it actually feels very appropriate that God would bless us with a son first. That might not make much sense to anyone else, but it does to us. That's all that matters. ^^;; (This is certainly not to say the delight of a girl would have been any less!

Our Little Man






I think his chin resembles mine a bit...

The Appointment
So our appointment was Wednesday morning, and as I mentioned before, this was the one-hour glucose challenge to test for gestational diabetes. I chugged the drink and didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as some people make it out to be. The aftertaste left something to be desired, but it wasn't bad at all.

I completely crashed within five minutes, though. I felt so utterly exhausted and was hardly coherent. I swear it was some orange-flavored soju (Korean alcohol) or something. All I could really do was rest my head on my husband's shoulder and wait to be called in by the doctor for the ultrasound. I tried to say something to him, but I could hardly get anything out.

When we were finally called in, we went straight to the ultrasound spot. Like I said, he was not afraid to show that he is all boy. Right before the doctor started, Hee Suk said, "We don't need to record it, right?" If I had been more coherent, I would have smacked him and said, "Of course we do!" However, I was so out of it that I said, "Uh...o...kay..." He is kicking himself so hard right now because he didn't know exactly what he was looking at and therefore didn't catch the spot where our little boy showed his stuff.

I had so many questions I wanted to ask the doctor, but I hardly registered anything she was saying. They can wait until next time (four weeks from now), though, when I go in for my Rhogam shot for being Rh-.

Head's Up
The day of the appointment, baby decided to switch to a head's up position. I don't want to say breech at this point just because, but he is still there. I knew this as soon as we got on the bus to head to the hospital. He was kicking probably about as low as he possibly could. I am not freaking out about this, but I am trying to get him down sooner rather than later and hope he stays there. (Yes, I know there is still quite a bit of time for him to move around.)

Stats
Mama
Blood Pressure: 108/64
Heart Rate: 85bpm
Weight: ~65kg (143 lbs) I had weighed myself elsewhere just a couple of days earlier and was closer to a low 64kg, and I was about 1kg (2.2 lbs) higher when I weighed myself at the hospital (same type of scale). I rounded down to 65kg because I had had a lot of water in the morning.
Glucose Level: I don't know what to call it, but I passed with a 91.

Baby
I didn't hear any mention of length, but she did mention the weight was about 730g. I saw her notes and saw she jotted down 732g. I actually don't care much for the weight measurements since they are so often off, but if it is true, it seems like he's growing very well (of course he is!). Maybe I misheard/misread, though...

Today--24 weeks and 1 or 2 days


In the picture, I am wearing the skirt I bought when I went out with Sarah. Seriously, it is ridiculously comfortable. I'm going to buy it in all the colors of the rainbow. OK, not quite, but I do want to buy at least one more. I love it to no end.

Our little boy is still heads up. I had to go to the dentist today for her to put me out of the misery she mistakenly put me in last time (she just wasn't focusing for whatever reason and did not do a good job with my top wire), and he was kicking the entire time I was in the chair, which was about 50 minutes! He was moving all over the place, but it seems like he is still kicking quite low. Our little one is incredibly responsive to sound (not to mention food!), which I have typed about before (Transformers, UFC...). It will be fun to see how he enjoys Harry Potter this weekend after we munch on some pizza!

Old Wives' Tales
They are as they state--just tales--but several have proven true for me! The foods I have craved (salty, pork...staying away from sweets), and the obvious way I am carrying were both signs of a boy, and lo' and behold, we're having a boy! There are probably others that have fallen true as well. It's not important, but it's a little fun to think about.

That's about all I have for now. Exhaustion is setting in (it has been one crazy week!), so I need to go and rest up.

"Congrats" to those whose guessed right! The votes wound up being very close with slightly few more people guessing we were having a girl. ^^

Thank You, my God, for such an amazing blessing! Please continue to hold him in your hands and help him grow and thrive. We dedicate him to You!

7 comments:

Lolimahro said...

Your little one is smiling in the second picture! He is so cute!

Dexter was feet-down for quite some time. But your little one still has a lot of "wiggle room"...he might breakdance a bit and flip around a couple of more times before your due date. Also, less than 20 hours before giving birth, Dexter was also facing the "wrong way" (forget what the technical term is) but he flipped over during labor. So I'm glad you're not concerned about baby's position, because at this point it really doesn't matter! I'm so happy for you!

TexasBobbi said...

Congrats on everything going smoothly. Don't worry about him being foot down, Ian turned head down early and at the last few weeks he flipped back up. When it came to deliver he was head down again.

dalki said...

Congrats Angela!!!! Was sure you were having a girl, but then again, was sure I was having a girl too!! Our little boys will be only 5 months apart, so lots of playdates for us Im sure!!! I know I havent been in touch since I had Ian, but any time you're free, pop over for a visit! He's getting so big! I can't take my eyes off hm!

akoto said...

Lolimahro--I can't think of what it's called either...maybe posterior? I don't know my terms well enough!

Bobbi--Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on anything, but thanks for keeping in touch! It's easy to get wrapped up in the whole position thing, but like you've mentioned, anything could happen at any time. ^^

Dalki-There you are! I would love to come visit some time! I'll have to send you an email to see what days/times are best for you. I hope you've been well!

Alfee said...

Congrats on the news! I'm sure he's gonna be a wonderful big brother to his future siblings.
I was sure you were having a boy after seeing Hee Suk taking care of Ethan at the BBQ, he totally looked so natural!! Glad everythings going okay. Hope you think Harry Potter is better than Transformers was!

Anonymous said...

Oh your ultrasound photos are BEAUTIFUL! This just makes me all the more impatient for mine, lol. You really have such a blessing with your little boy :) I'm so, so so incredibly happy for you and Hee Suk!

I have only felt flutters (I'm just at 20w). Is that normal? Now i'm freaking out because you feel so many kicks!

Mama Seoul said...

Check out Spinning Babies for somethings you can do about breech:

http://www.spinningbabies.com

Spinning Babies is good for Optimal Fetal Positioning and is good to do even if your baby isn't breech or posterior right now.

http://doulamomma.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/optimal-fetal-positioning-for-a-better-birth/

And, of course, if he is breech towards the end, you can always try the ECV. Dr. Chung and midwife Rosa just did it for Yuk.