I'm home right now for the purpose of eating cereal, showering and grabbing more wipies to take to the hospital. There's a shower there, but the thought of using it creeps both of us out.
It looks like we'll be checking out tomorrow instead of today. It's our choice in the end, but in this case, I do agree that it's best to make sure the fever stays away at least 24 hours. It appears to have been a virus after all, seeing as they have not found anything else in his blood or urine.
Tons of Koreans we have spoken with have said in response, "Why do babies always get sick when it's their first birthday?" It could just be an old wives' tale, or maybe there is something to it in this country. I don't dismiss that possibility because of the "traveler's cough" pretty much everyone who comes here ends up catching (I had it myself, though it was awhile after we moved here).
Whatever it is, it had better not shine its face around these parts again.
Anyway, he's been in better spirits since yesterday. He's not as terrified of people anymore. (He was utterly traumatized by them taking blood and putting the IV in.) He's been clapping, talking, trying to rip his IV out and all of that good stuff.
It will be a miracle if I don't get checked into a psych ward before the end of this.
Feeding him solids has become a challenge because I think he's afraid of throwing up. For a few nights, he would throw up when we tried to feed him dinner. It's hard to say why. I thought it might have been tofu, but he threw up last night sans tofu. I think we might have given him one spoonful too many. ;~; Poor little guy.
Let me quickly tell you about Korean hospital food. It should make you love American hospital food. It is always soup, rice, white kimchi (the not spicy one) and a few side dishes. Sometimes, the food contains shellfish. Sometimes, it contains peanuts. Our first day there, they served spam. There's plenty of tofu, seaweed, this root, that root... It's sometimes okay (I happen to love seaweed soup), but even HS won't even touch it most of the time.
Anyway, since being admitted, the leaves have changed so much. This area is incredibly beautiful--plenty of roads lined with now yellow ginko trees. It's amazing.
Oh, I must announce this as well. Once thing that makes me a little happier through all of this:
I had to go to Homeplus to pick up a few groceries to take back to the hospital, and I gasped quite dramatically when I saw Cheetos, REAL CHEETOS, in stock there. I just munched on some. Oh, yum. It's been years. Korean Cheetos are awful. "Steak." "Bulgogi." "Spicy." They are nasty. But these Cheetos...so savory...so yummy...yum...
That's all for now. Thanks so much for all of the thoughts and prayers. Hopeully, Pooh Bear will be at home playing when I update next.
Much love and many blessings to you all~
Sunday, November 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Glad to hear little Nehemiah is getting better! Can't wait for the dol next weekend.
Every morning when Dex wakes up, he asks for "Nehemiah". I think he has named our computer "Nehemiah". Today, we rode on the Nehebus with Nehemommy and played with the Neheball at church. >.<
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. ^_^
Post a Comment