Monday, March 15, 2010

Rice Cereal



I made rice cereal for Nehemiah on Thursday. We had rice in our rice cooker already, so I decided to try out grinding the rice into a fine powder and cooking it on the stove. (I was following a recipe, of course.) I think the image above and video below (which is actually of our second try after feeding him some milk) say it all.




We of course tried again on Sunday, and he just does not like it. He doesn't get unruly or anything, but again, the look says it all. I am fairly certain it's the consistency he doesn't like. Most likely, the powder was not fine enough, so it's making an unenjoyable texture for him. His rice is now cooking in the rice cooker for me to try to puree later, so we'll see how that goes.

I tested out my consistency theory in a way I probably shouldn't have, but it worked. Making sure he wasn't objecting to food as a whole made sense to me, so after day two of the Rice Cereal of Apparent Doom, I grabbed my bread which had a pumpkin filling that was pretty much the consistency babies need scooped out a little and popped it in his mouth. He definitely responded to that much better (well, duh), so that made me feel better. I'm probably not going to wait two weeks until I introduce anything else to him like I had originally planned, but we'll see. I am dying to go back to Home Plus and buy the avocado I saw there. It is so rare here, and it's full of goodness for babies (and everyone, really).

Anyway, it's off to class for me, then round two of rice cereal goodness.

3 comments:

TexasBobbi said...

Man, he is getting to big to fast.

Lolimahro said...

I love it when babies start eating solid foods! Some of the best reactions await! I'll never forget how much Dexter LOVED squash, and scarfed it down every time.

I think it takes a little bit of time for some babies just to get used to eating, rather than sucking. I seem to remember when we started out the rice cereal was more like rice soup. ^_^

PhinneyGirl said...

Martha never liked rice cereal, but she did OK with oat cereal, but it was still a battle. We ended up switching her to straight purees, but then the pediatrician said we should be feeding her the cereal since it is iron fortified. We started mixing about 2 oz of fruit puree with the oat cereal, and now she loves it. In the evening we also give her a jar of pureed veggies first, then the fruit/cereal mix. We tried giving her fresh avocado once and she didn't like it. Once I am staying home with her I am going to make more of an effort to make my own food for her.
Good luck with trying different things for Nehemiah! It's so fun to watch their facial expressions as they are tasting new things :-)