Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Milestones (of sorts)

Food
Tuesday was day four of adventures in baby food, and it was definitely more encouraging than other days. I had purchased a buttercup (yes, not butternut) squash to try preparing for us as practice preparing it for Nehemiah, and it was so easy and delicious. Before cooking it for us, I gave a little bite to Nehemiah, and I think it will be one of his favorites. It was only 1,750 won, so I will definitely be going back for more. I can't believe I never tried to prepare squash before!

Yesterday was a good feeding day as well. I decided to also try giving him some avocado, and he took it pretty well. For some reason, though, He's chewing motions are so much better. In fact, while he was sleeping last night, I saw him sleep-practicing eating rather than sucking. It was too cute!

Me preparing avocado was surprisingly and ridiculously messy. If Swamp Thing came to our kitchen and pooped all over it, it would have been cleaner than me preparing the avocado. I don't understand why it was so difficult for me.

Today, I cannot believe how much that boy ate. He might as well have licked the bowl clean. Yay for homemade rice cereal and avocado!

Rollie Polie
Two nights ago, Nehemiah rolled from back to belly to the right for the first time, and he's been doing it more today. Well, it was at least the first time we noticed, which I am pretty sure is the first time because I always try to check which way he goes (not hard, even after the fact). Yesterday morning at whatever wee hour of the morning, he was having a bit of a temper tantrum and wound up rolling from belly to back. It doesn't seem he understands just how to do it yet, but it's progress!

Support
This child was born with really strong legs and has been able to bear weight on them for quite some time. Sometime last week, though, he realized that when I am pulling him up to a sitting position (we like to pull him up by his arms while he is lying down for extra neck muscle practice since he's been able to hold his head level with his body for a few weeks now and because he enjoys it), he can go from sitting to standing no problem. He loves this. His huge grin says it all after he stands. We hardly have to support him while he's standing (though we do exercise caution, of course). I can't believe how strong he is.

Yesterday, he showed that he's starting to get the hang of sitting. He doesn't have beautiful posture yet or anything, but he's getting the basics down. I was pretty surprised at how he has started to support himself. It all seems to happen in the blink of an eye. I practiced again with him today, and he's already improved so much. Where is my baby??

Doctor
We went to our public health office to get his second round of Polio and DPT done, and he cried more than usual initially, but he stopped right as soon as I picked him up. What a good boy.

We went to our regular doctor today, and he weighed in at 8.1kg (17.82 lbs) and measured in at 67.6cm (26.6in). This is 5mm shorter than last time, but obviously no big problem.

Anyway, I had best be off. We are incredibly grateful for how amazingly we have been blessed.

2 comments:

MommyCha said...

Nehemiah sounds so similar to Thomas in his strength and development! I really wish I had written more about it when he was young. The exercises you are doing are great, Tom always did them with Thomas. As well as having an Exersaucer we always encouraged him to move and lift himself. He had a walker too and it all helped.He was walking on his own by 9 months! It seems like he hasn't slowed down since.^^
I hope Nehemiah continues to make such good progress. Good luck with the avocado next time, it is so good for them ,real brain food! It was the first food we gave Thomas as well.
Cheers!

Lolimahro said...

I know I say this every time, but what a big boy! Dexter got weighed yesterday and he was only 10kg, but he is taller than almost all kids his age and even taller than many kids who are older than him.

It's so good that Nehemiah likes avocado. I don't think I've ever been able to get Dexter to eat it - the same with sweet potato (although he eats it at the daycare all the time, or so they say...).