Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Don't Know How Far I'll Get...

Last week was crazy, to say the least, but we did get Nehemiah his US citizenship. I will try to do a write-up later on what it entailed. Thankfully, I had contacted another expat who had just gone through the process, or else I might have shown up without my college transcripts. The US Embassy Seoul website needs a little updating.

Nehemiah turned three weeks yesterday, and since then, he's been a bit fussy. He's in his bouncer right now with just a diaper and socks on because I have no idea what he wants. It's given me a couple of quiet minutes thus far at least. (Spoke too soon.) He has fussy time for 3-5 hours every morning starting around 6 or 7 am because he gets gas and wants to give me a nice present to change. I think he's also just been really tired but has been fighting off sleep. He still just does not like to burp, so that's causing issues, too, of course.

Through a program at our public health center, we are able to get a practically free nanny/maid to help us out. I was completely against it at first, but with Hee Suk needing to be away with his father, I said, "OK, if they will let us use one for just a couple of hours a days to help with cooking lunch and tidying up a little, that's fine."

Her first day was yesterday, and I didn't have a meltdown only because I was able to call a friend and my mom to rant and get my sanity back while she and my husband went grocery shopping. She criticized the air in our apartment, the size of it, this, that. Hee Suk thinks that kind of stuff is helpful, but I take it personally. I had the little mittens on him because Koreans like to over-dress babies, but she said he should be able to have his hands free. There is no winning with these people.

She mentioned several times how his skin is not good because of the air. He has baby acne from my hormones. I'm O-, he's A+. I'm female, he's male. Et cetera. Woman, back off the baby. She even suggested lotion, which our doctor and several books say NOT to do because it will just make it worse. She was told on Monday that she was to have nothing to do with the baby, just to help cook and clean a little.

Anyway, no Hee Suk today, as he is down in Daegu again, so I hope everything goes well.

Well, it looks like this is about as far as I'll get. I will try to post more and get pictures uploaded later.

God bless~!

5 comments:

TexasBobbi said...

I understand those feelings of nothing going right. It will get better.

Lolimahro said...

You are doing fabulous, Mama! Dexter had a nose that looked like the butt of a spotted deer for the first few weeks (or maybe it was months...I don't remember!). He also had a few blackheads all over his face.

I learned some baby massage at the new mom & baby class I took back in the States last year. Maybe when Dex and I are clear of our illnesses we can get together and do some baby massage? Not all babies like it but it's worth a try. I find that it relaxes me as much as it relaxes Dexter.

MommyCha said...

Have you talked to Heesuk about changing the help? I think it should be possible. I'm sorry to hear she isn't as helpful as she should be, our nanny has been wonderful and the woman she recommended to cover her vacation is also amazing. Take care of yourself and try to just brush off the criticism. HUGS!

Sarah said...

Hahaha! I salute you for not screaming in her face! It's so true....if you had not had his hands covered, she would have covered them! OH, and the air quality and temperature in my apartment was NEVER quite right. hahaha. Baby acne....most babies get it, right? Seems some ladies forget about it or something? Or maybe you're right about the blood type? I'm negative and G is positive and she had it quite bad for a while.


Anyway....you're doing a great job! I'm going to come visit you sometime after I get back. You can rant away!

Mama Seoul said...

Pull the foreigner card on her. When Korean ladies tell me my babies are too cold. I tell them that foreign babies get too hot easily and that Eva sweats like a man. Then say that your doctor said to do xyz. Give her a list of tasks to do to keep her occupied. Then nod and smile and do what you want. Criticism is the Korean way of caring it seems! She does mean well, but it can be overbearing.

If you him down on his back and take your fist (back of your finger side) and massage his digestive track in a clockwise pattern that can help him get the gas out. Or bicycle his legs. My kids never burped, they only farted. LOUDLY! They never had any trouble getting the gas out themselves, either, but my little brothers did (they are 11 years younger than me) and I used that massage on them and it really helped.