Thursday, July 22, 2010

Before the time gets any farther...

I am so behind on updating, largely due to Nehemiah just constantly keeping us on our toes. I came on to check something for someone that I have forgotten about for about two weeks, but seeing as I was not able to get the information I needed, I think now is a great time to catch up a little before recent developments end up being old news.

Yesterday, Mr. Nehemiah demonstrated how truly brave he is as he attempted to stand without support many times. He did very well a few tries. Today, he's been letting go of whatever he uses for support and trying to take a couple of steps. He was successful a number of times. I don't need to hold both of his hands to walk with him anymore. I can just hold one (usually his left), and he just takes off all over the place. We went out to the playground in front of our building to let him run around (while holding hands), and he just had a blast. He absolutely loves his "independence" and will definitely be walking in no time.

I noticed him sort of bear crawling yesterday (trying to, at least), but I later realized that he might be trying to stand up on his own rather than pull himself up.

It's pretty much official that "Appa" is more of his first word, and he definitely loves to say it. He only says "Eomma" sometimes, and that's usually when he's crying. I think it's both a combination of "Appa" and "Up". He seems to be able to slightly distinguish between the two, but definitely not 100% yet.

His first bilingual word is "kiss" (뽀뽀). I say, "Kiss, kiss!" to him, and he knows to give a kiss (nothing new there), but HS was a bit envious and set out to teach him the Korean: 뽀뽀! (Bbobbo!) He has that down now as well. Nehemiah appears to understand several other words as well, particularly "no" (usually obeys pretty well, though often protests) and "milkies" (which I say to him to see if he's hungry for milk).

He eats three meals a day, usually close to 2 oz. (~30mL) per meal. For breakfast, he gets oatmeal and a fruit. Lunch is usually either chicken or beef plus a fruit, but right now, we are doing it with buttercup squash. Most of the time, Nehemiah seems to prefer beef over chicken, which was exactly how I was while I was pregnant with him. For dinner, I usually give him rice and a vegetable. Sundays are still usually my food prep days.

Any time he is harder to feed, we give him yogurt on the side. We usually only have issues when he's tired of the taste or because he wants to get out of his chair or rip off his bib. The other magic trick is to allow him to eat from the side of his bowl. He absolutely loves to have the bowl to his mouth and just eat that way. This might be because of him watching us eat our cereal or soup since we have most of our meals together. Either way, it doesn't really bother me, as I am happy that it helps him get it down more enthusiastically.

Two weeks ago, we tried out a new church that we received a pamphlet from in our mailbox. It showed they have English sermons, so we decided to give it a go. It's definitely the best we've visited yet. The worship music is CCM style (which I love), and there are a few couples there currently expecting. A couple of families also have toddlers. After we go to our service, we grab a bite to eat in the cafeteria and head over to Nehemiah's service.

They have a service for babies during every main worship hour. We could have one of us go with him during English worship, but then one of us would be missing out. We could also try to leave him with the helpers there, but we're just not comfortable with that with being just 8 months old still. They sing cute songs with plenty of hand movements, have a short sermon with lots of videos and pictures and then have either arts and crafts time or story time (we've only been twice so far, and that's what they've done). Simple snacks are also provided.

As you can imagine, being the only non-100% Korean baby, Nehemiah is simply adored there. The helpers' faces light up when they see him, and they definitely know him by name. It actually makes us feel a little sorry for other parents because the workers don't dote on their children the same way. However, I've been around many parents with their young children who will focus more on our baby than their own child as well. Ah, Korea. I'm sure, though, that after a few weeks, the novelty will wear off.

Anyway, I've got two taxing days ahead of me, so I need all the rest I can get. I hope to post some videos and photos soon.

Sending many prayers for blessings and lots of love to all who might read this. God is so good.

No comments: