Sunday, February 14, 2010

3 Months Old



Nehemiah turned 3 months old this past Wednesday (the 10th). We went to the doctor on the 11th for his Hib shot, and these were his stats: 7.36kg (16.2 lbs) and 67.3cm (26.5in). He's a big boy, to say the least! He took the shot very well, letting out one simple loud complaint and then smiling.

It seems that the shot caused him to be slightly feverish on Friday, though. Early in the evening, he was about 37.7º, but it went up to 37.9º, which is borderline need for concern. That day, I noticed that he was eating more than usual, and apparently while I was away teaching, his Appa noticed he was having more #2 diapers than usual (most notable was the frequency). When we were trying to put him to sleep, he kept waking up every so often and pooing (I can't tell you how many diapers I changed, when I usually don't change any until about 6 am, if even), so something was definitely up. He woke up at one point somewhere around 4 or 5am, ate, needed a diaper change, and at that time spit up all that he had eaten, some of which came out with a little bit of force. After composing myself, we decided to just put him in a short-sleeved onesie, help him back to sleep and cover him with a thin blanket. He dropped back down to about 37.6º, and a few hours later, it was showing more of a decline. Thankfully, he was super bright and chipper when he woke up for the day.

His father wasn't too keen on swaddling, so I stopped swaddling him some time last week. He's back to being swaddled as of last night, though. He loves his hands, and I think just being able to have them free is motivation enough for him to fight being put down for the night. He sleeps so well when swaddled, too. I am breaking him away from one of his nighttime feedings (around 3 or 4am) so that he can just sleep through the night. I think it's going well. He eats around 6am, then, which works fine because I am up anyway twice a week at that time getting ready for a morning class and always feed him before I leave.

These are Nehemiah's current favorite things:
- His hands
- His Appa's voice
- Squealing/sort of screaming with delight (hilarious)
- Grabbing things out of thin air (I don't know how he is able to reach some of the things he ends up with in his hands! He knows magic, I tell you.)
- Being sung to
- Pulling his hair
- As always, nakey and bath time

Anyway, today is both the Lunar New Year (Seollal) and Valentine's Day. I will try to get some pictures later. El Crankazoid is currently sleeping, so we shall leave him there for now.

Happy New Year and Happy Valentine's Day! Many blessings to you all~

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Sounds like you guys are doing great. Grace was also intrigued by her hands and slept better swaddled....up until around 4 or 5 months when summer came and it became too hot. I hear some people swaddle until 7 or 8 months! If it works, why not....